Carbon Monoxide Detection Legislation Passed Assembly

Filed under: Around Town,Health & Wellness,News,Politics |

By Bob Driscoll, Coordinator NYS Assembly Minority Member Services 

Lupinacci - Carbon M.

 Assemblymen Chad Lupinacci and Steve Englebright shake hands following passage of legislation to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in commercial buildings.

In June, Assemblymen Chad Lupinacci and Steve Englebright secured passage of their legislation to require installation of carbon monoxide detectors in restaurants and other commercial buildings. The legislation stemmed from the tragedy at Legal Sea Foods in Huntington Station which sickened 20 and cost the restaurant manager his life.

“What happened at Legal Sea Food in February was an unfortunate tragedy,” said Lupinacci. “I hope that passage of this legislation will prevent others from experiencing such a loss. As we saw earlier this month at the Dunkin’ Donuts in Carle Place, these incidents are more common than we may have expected, and by requiring carbon monoxide detectors in businesses, we can give patrons a better warning system. I want to thank Assemblyman Englebright for his help guiding this legislation through the Assembly.”

“I am pleased to have worked with Assemblyman Chad Lupinacci to pass this important bill in the Assembly.  Its impetus was the tragic death of local businessman Steven Nelson who lost his life in a carbon monoxide-filled basement beneath his restaurant. One restaurant employee and numerous first responders were also compromised by the carbon monoxide. After this terrible event it was clear that the state fire prevention and building code had a glaring and dangerous omission in it because restaurants and commercial buildings were not required to have CO detectors. When our legislation becomes law it will serve as a preventative measure from that time forward and potentially save many lives,” said Englebright.

Assembly Bill 8963-A establishes standards for the installation and maintenance of carbon monoxide detectors in restaurants and other commercial buildings. Prior to passage of this bill, one- and two-family homes and apartments were required to be equipped with carbon monoxide detectors. However, restaurants and other businesses were exempt. If passed in the Senate and signed into law by the governor, the legislation will help prevent illness and even death among patrons and employees.

Video of Assemblyman Lupinacci speaking on the legislation can be viewed by clicking here.

Facebook Comments must be signed into Facebook

http://www.e-zsewer.com/

You must be logged in to post a comment Login