Whitman Students at 57th annual New York DECA State Career Conference
Last week, March 7-10, 2017 eighteen DECA students from Whitman traveled to Rochester to compete in the 57th annual New York DECA State Career Conference. This year’s theme was “Build Your Future with New York DECA,” There were over 2,000 competitors, from 100 high schools in attendance. Our Whitman students came into the ‘States’ dedicated and their preparation for the events was evident in the excellent results! Walt Whitman walked away with many medals and trophies in the following areas.
- Jared Rosenthal won a top 10 overall Medal in Principles of Finance
- Jordan Roiland won a top 10 Medal in the test for Hotel & Lodging Management
- Gabrielle Girard won a top 10 Medal in the test for Quick Serve Restaurant Management
- Kevin McKenna won a top 10 Medal in the test for Marketing Management Team Event
- Natalie Ugenti won a medal for top 10 test in Principles of Hospitality and Tourism
- Ilana Desmond won a medal for top 10 test in Marketing Communications
- Jason Girard won 2 medals for top 10 test and top 10 role play in Automotive Services
- Epi Ramirez was awarded a first place trophy for her Community Service Project
- The team of Joseph VanGostein and Rachel Vaughan won a first place trophy for their Franchise Business Plan project.
These first place winners qualify for international competition in Anaheim California this April.
“As usual our Walt Whitman students were professional and respectful during the entire conference,” said DECA advisor, Ms. Deanna Kluepfel. “Because this group took the conference so seriously, supervising them was a pleasure. The kids made the conference extra special and memorable.”
Many thanks to Mr. Joseph Claps for his exceptional supervision and support of the students during the conference! Additional thanks goes to Mr. Smiloff, Mrs. Steuber, Mr. Bilello, and Mrs. Zamow for selflessly helping students practice and prepare for this challenging business competition.
Left to right: Joseph Van Gostein, Rachel Vaughan, and Epi Ramirez, shown with Ms. Kluepfel, all won first place trophies and qualify for the international competition in Anaheim California this April.
DECA Advisor Ms. Deanna L. Kluepfel, (back left) with her award winning students.