Here We Go Again – Six Beaches Closed to Bathing Three In Huntington
The following beaches are closed to bathing due to the finding of bacterial levels in excess of acceptable criteria.
- Lake Ronkonkoma Beach, Islip
- Tanner Park Beach, Copiague
- Benjamin Beach, Bay Shore
- Fleet’s Cove Beach, Huntington
- Huntington Beach Community Association Beach, Centerport
- Crab Meadow Beach, Northport
According to Suffolk County Commissioner of Health Dr. James Tomarken, bathing in bacteria-contaminated water can result in gastrointestinal illness, as well as infections of the eyes, ears, nose, and throat.
These beaches will reopen when further testing reveals that the bacteria have subsided to acceptable levels.
For the latest information on affected beaches, call the Bathing Beach HOTLINE at 852-5822, contact the Department’s Office of Ecology at 852-5760 during normal business hours, or visit the Beach Monitoring page on the Suffolk County website.