Melville Fire Department Responds to Propane Leak

Filed under: Fire,Hamlets,INVESTIGATIONS,Melville,News,Police/Fire/EMS |

The Melville Fire Department was alerted for reports of a gas leak on Landaulette Court, on Friday, July 21, 2017 at about 11:45 a.m. Firefighters arrived to find that a construction crew hit the relief valve on a 550-gallon underground propane tank, causing a major gas leak. Six nearby homes with about 15 people and several pet dogs were evacuated.

Melville firefighters and rescue personnel were on the scene with three trucks, two ambulances, and fire police, under the direction of Chief Jason Bernfeld, supported by Assistant Chiefs Chris Nolan and David Kaplan. The Hicksville Fire Department Hazardous Materials Team was requested to respond, and they were able to plug the leak and safely secure the tank. The Huntington Manor Fire Department assisted with an engine, while the Plainview Fire Department provided standby coverage for Melville. Suffolk Police Emergency Services also was on the scene. The incident was brought under control in about 45 minutes, and residents were soon allowed back into their homes. There were no injuries reported.

Story by Steve Silverman, Photos courtesy Melville Fire Department

 

Facebook Comments must be signed into Facebook

http://www.e-zsewer.com/

You must be logged in to post a comment Login