Power Line Sparks Fire in Centerport
The Centerport Fire Department responded to a structure fire after an arcing 13,000 volt primary power line came down on a backyard shed, setting the shed on fire and spreading to a nearby unoccupied home on Idle Day Drive during the Nor’easter on Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at about 7:20 p.m. Firefighters made an aggressive interior attack, but were forced to halt operations after a firefighter holding onto a hose line outside received a minor electric shock due to the high voltage in the ground. The firefighter was checked out at the scene by Centerport FD paramedics. Firefighters kept a close eye on the house and were able douse a few hot spots while waiting for a PSEG crew to arrive from Northport. The crew cut the fuse on the pole, shutting power to the house and firefighters continued extinguishing the blaze which damaged a bedroom and bathroom. The fire was fully extinguished within 40 minutes. About 40 Centerport firefighters and emergency medical personnel were on the scene with two engines, a ladder truck, heavy rescue truck, two ambulances and paramedic unit, under the command of Chief Tom Boyd and Assistant Chiefs Rich Miltner and Andy Heglund. An engine from the Halesite Fire Department provided standby coverage. The Town of Huntington Fire Marshal is investigating. During the storm, the Centerport Fire Department responded to 14 calls for electrical wires and trees down, and blocked roads.
Story by Steve Silverman, Photos courtesy Centerport Fire Department