Centerport Fire Department Quickly Contains House Fire
Quick action by Centerport firefighters minimized damage to a home after a fireplace fire spread into an interior wall and basement of a home on Little Neck Road. The Centerport Fire Department was dispatched to the alarm at 10:07 a.m. on Monday, September 10, 2018, after being called by the residents who smelled smoke in the house.
Three engines, a ladder truck, heavy rescue truck, an ambulance and paramedic unit responded with 25 firefighters. under the direction of Assistant Chiefs Rich Miltner and Andy Heglund. An additional engine was requested to the scene from the Greenlawn Fire Department. Firefighters used a Thermal Imaging Camera to quickly locate the smoldering fire inside the family room wall. Firefighters pulled the wall and cut a hole in the floor where the beams were already charred, and were able stop the fire from causing further damage to the house. One Greenlawn firefighter sustained a fractured finger and was transported to Huntington Hospital by Greenlawn Rescue Squad ambulance. The Town of Huntington Fire Marshal and Suffolk Police Arson Squad are investigating.