Helping Hands Needs Our Support
Reverend Gaines, who is one of the most giving people in Huntington is asking for our help. The Helping Hands Rescue Mission is in desperate need of resources. Since times are so tough for many, more people are turning to the mission and less people have the resources to donate. In addition to needing non-perishable food they also need cash donations to help with their operating expenses. Monthly Expenses are about $1000 for insurance and operation of their vehicles. All helpers at the Mission are strictly volunteers and receive no compensation. All proceed go directly to those in need.
The building they operate from is now owned by the Mission. Rather than worry every month if they would have enough money to keep the facility operating, Rev. Gaines took out a mortgage on her home to protect the building that she so cherished.
Rev. Rosemary and Rev. Jimmie Andrew Gaines, were married on September 11, 1965. They knew they would be settling in Huntington and they wanted to give back to those who were less fortunate than they were. As Rev. Rosemary explained to me, “we wanted to do something where the community would have been better for us having been here.”
With $125 to their names, they started the Helping Hands Rescue Mission on November 15, 1965. At that time, their building was located at 1138 New York Avenue, Huntington Station. Rev. Rosemary described it as a quaint store front that looked similar to those found in Huntington Village. When the Urban Renewal program came to Huntington Station, their building was destroyed like so many others. They moved to a temporary location at 1077 New York Avenue. Ms. Gilroy, from the Unitarian Church was determined to help the Gaines’ find a permanent location for the Mission.
Century Candy Company which was located on Broadway between Cottage Court and Monaton drive in Huntington Station was selling their builing. When it came to the owners’ attention that the Rev. Rosemary and Rev. Jimmie desired the building for their Mission but had no money to purchase it, he agreed to rent it to them with the option to buy it. Others with more money made offers on the building, but the owner of the candy company wanted the Gaines’ to have it because he admired their work. In 1968, the Helping Hands Rescue moved into their new and permanent home.
On Valentines Day, February 14, 1987, Rev. Jimmy Gaines was on a Mission in Haiti and Rev. Rosemary was staying with a friend, when they received terrible News. There was a devastating fire and the building was destroyed. Although they were heartbroken, they found solace when they learned that no one was hurt in the terrible explosion that consumed their building. They did not lose their faith that things would work out and they eventually did. The Gaines’ have helped countless individuals and families keep their dignity during difficult times and they certainly met their goal of having the community be a better place for having had them here.
Rev. Jimmie Andrew passed away last year and Rev. Rosemany continues the mission’s work that was so meaningful to both of them. On October 9, 2011, at 2:00, there will be a dedication of the Jimmie Gaines memorial Garden on the grounds of the Mission.
Please help support the Helping Hands Rescue Mission which has given so selflessly to the Huntington Community for decades. They are in desperate need of non-perishable goods, monetary donations and volunteers.
On November 15, 2011, the Mission will have served the Huntington Community for 47 years. The Huntingtonian wll keep you updated on the needs of the Helping Hands Rescue Mission.
Location: 225 Braodway, Huntington Station
Phone Number: 351-6996