ShotSpotter Stat Update
Many media outlets covering a press conference with new Police Commissioner Webber a few weeks ago stated “the ShotSpotter system detected gunfire 517 times in about three months”. One of those sources quoted Webber as saying” that’s more than five incidents a day in places like Huntington Station”. These statements are incorrect according to 2nd Precinct police officials. The Huntingtonian was contacted by the 2nd Precinct and they gave the following stats: The Huntingtonian has filed Foil requests to verify the information.
- The actual number of activations from system start-up (Note-HT1) to April 1, 2012 was 507.
- The 507 activations is the total number from all the communities in the system – North Amityville, Wyandanch, Huntington Station, Brentwood and North Bellport.
- In Huntington Station, there have been 109 activations in the time period of December 2011 to April 1, 2012.
- The system recorded a large number of activations on the evening of 12/31/11 and early on 1/1/12. Most of these activations were determined to be fireworks. One activation, on 12/31/11 was from a firearm and an arrest was made that evening.
- Between January 2nd, 2012 and April 1st, 2012 there have been 37 system activations in Huntington Station.
- Seventeen (17) of these were classified as false (Note-HT2). This means the system activation was definitely determined to be from a factor other than a firearm (construction noise, fireworks, etc.).
- Twenty (20) activations have been classified as unsubstantiated, meaning, after investigation by responding officers; it could not be determined what caused the activation. (Note-HT3)
- There have been no confirmed firearm activations of the system since 12/31/11 in Huntington Station. (Note-HT4)
HT1=Shotspotter started somewhere around Dec 20th 2011, maybe a few days prior.
HT2=A false positive is common, upon startup with new systems. As they fine tune the software this declines.
HT3=37 activations in Huntington, 17 definite False positives, 20 confirmed but no outcome or police could find a shooter
HT4= Arrest Because of the technology/system made Dec 31, 2011
Police tell us that 21 activations 1 confirmed with arrest and 20 unconfirmed activations.