Motorcyclist Critically Injured In July Accident To Thank First Responders Who Saved His Life

Filed under: Around Town,Crash,Huntington Station,News |

Mr. John Atkinson & his wife  will be at Huntington Community First Aid Squad ‘s monthly membership meeting to meet  and personally thank those who took part in the emergency care and transport following the accident that almost took his life.

On July 21st John Atkinson, age 56, suffered severe injuries to his left arm and right thigh resulting in heavy blood loss when he had a motorcycle accident on Depot Rd. and E. 12th St. in Huntington Station.  Several by-standers were calling 911 when Huntington Community First Aid Squad Ex-First Deputy Chief David Mohr, on his way home from shopping, came upon the scene. He immediately called HCFAS to request an ambulance and to activate aviation for a Medivac.

Samantha Mohr, the dispatcher on duty (and Dave’s daughter) informed him she had just received the call from County and the on duty crew was out on a prior call. She was attempting to activate a second crew. At that time HCFAS Captain Martin arrived and took over patient care with Squad member Gerado Vasquez, who also happened on the scene.

Ex- Deputy Chief Mohr responded to headquarters got an ambulance and drove back to the location. The first police officer on the scene was James Garside, a SCPD Advanced Life Support provider who had started 2 IV s. At this time the patient, who was in and out of consciousness and exhibiting symptoms of head trauma, was readied for transport to the Medivac landing zone at Manor Field.

With Huntington Manor FD standing by, the helicopter landed and the patient care was transferred to the flight medic and flown to Stony Brook Medical Center. Through the collaborative efforts of the members of HCFAS, SCPD and HMFD the elapsed time from the accident to arrival at the trauma center was 30 minutes, well within the “Golden Hour” the critical time frame for a positive outcome of a major trauma victim.

Immediately upon his arrival at Stony Brook Hospital, Mr. Atkinson was taken into surgery and required a second surgery a week later. According to Mrs Atkinson, the doctors at Stony Brook credited the immediate and excellent care he received at the scene of his accident for saving his life.



                             2 RAILROAD ST, HUNTINGTON STATION, NY

    MONDAY, SEPT 9TH –7:30 PM

Facebook Comments must be signed into Facebook

You must be logged in to post a comment Login