New Legislation Introduced To Require Commercial Establishments to Have Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Filed under: Around Town,News,Politics |

By Kathy Wilson

A carbon monoxide leak tragically killed a Long Island restaurant manager, Steven Nelson and sickened nearly 30 people. The carbon monoxide poisoning came from a malfunctioning water heater flue pipe in the basement of the establishment.

“Saturday night’s terrible tragedy shows the inadequacy of New York State laws for requiring carbon monoxide detectors. In the wake of this heartbreaking event in Huntington, I have introduced legislation that will close this deadly loophole. This bill will help protect residents against this silent killer,” said Senator Marcellino.

The legislation will be co-sponsored by Assemblyman Lupinnacci and Montessano in the Assembly.

“The events of this past weekend are a terrible tragedy and I want to express my sincere condolences to the friends and family of Steven Nelson.

We all know that carbon monoxide poisoning can have serious health consequences, and unfortunately the impact was felt by many in our community. Senator Marcellino and I will be working closely with the Huntington Town fire marshal, police and health officials to make sure that steps are in place to prevent such a tragedy from occurring again in the future,” said Assemblyman Chad Lupinacci.

“As lawmakers, we must ensure that tragedies like this do not occur again,” said Assemblyman Michael A. Montesano (Glen Head). “We have standards in place to ensure events like this don’t occur in hotels, hospitals, senior-assisted living and nursing homes and now we must make sure this doesn’t happen in restaurants either. This is not a partisan issue; we must act to protect our residents and prevent events like this from transpiring again.”

CO is odorless, colorless, and otherwise undetectable to the human senses; people may not know that they are being exposed. On average, about 170 people in the United States die every year from CO. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that several thousand people go to hospital emergency rooms every year to be treated for CO poisoning.

Under current New York State law, one or two-family homes, condominiums, cooperatives and each unit of a multiple dwelling must have a working carbon monoxide detector.  The law does not apply to restaurants and other commercial buildings.

This legislation would require the installation of carbon monoxide detectors in restaurants and commercial buildings in New York State.

“I also wish to acknowledge and thank  all of the first responders who came once again to the aid of their fellow citizens. My condolences to the family of Steven Nelson and I wish a speedy recovery to all those who fell ill,” concluded Senator Marcellino.

Facebook Comments must be signed into Facebook

You must be logged in to post a comment Login