Annual Antique Show – March 3rd and 4th
Every year this show is considered one of the premier antiques events on Long Island and consistently draws large crowds. There will be 66 dealers in room setting booths featuring 18th and 19th century American. It is held at Harborfields High School, 98 Taylor Avenue in Greenlawn. The event is sponsored by the Greenlawn – Centerport Historial Association.
66 dealers will feature formal and country furniture; estate jewelry; rugs; accessories and vintage collectibles, in room-like settings on wide aisles. Come with family or friends to enjoy luncheon by Culinary Studio and to support our restoration and education programs. Admission: $7.
About the association:
In 1973, growing interest in local history led to the organization of the Greenlawn-Centerport Historical Association. A permanent charter from the State of New York was received in October 1976. The GCHA is a non-profit membership organization with a mission to research, collect, record and preserve the history of the communities of Greenlawn and Centerport, Long Island, New York.
Today the two communities are formally bound together by the Harborfields Central School District–but this pairing has historical precedence. For many years the grain raised on the plains of Oldfields (Greenlawn) was brought to the gristmill on Little Cow Harbor (Centerport). Later, vacationers visiting the resort village of Centerport would take the stage from the railroad station in Greenlawn. Thus, in the mid-1950’s, when the two school districts were centralized, and in the early 1970’s, when the Harborfields Public Library and our Historical Association were founded, the pairing was a natural alliance.
In 1976 when the Harborfields Public Library moved into the former Broadway School building, space was allotted to the GCHA for its headquarters. Today the Association’s Russell B. Brush Research Center includes hundreds of photographs, documents, written histories and genealogical information relating to Greenlawn and Centerport. The Center is open to the public during office hours or by appointment.
In 1989, the Association purchased the Suydam Homestead, located at the corner of Route 25A and Centerport Road. This c1730 house was occupied by members of the Suydam family from the late 18th century until 1957. Over the last 15 years the Historical Association has stabilized the house, repaired the West Wing and converted it into a gallery that now displays the many historical artifacts discovered on the site. Another feature added to the property is a non-historic barn built in 1991 to house and display the Association’s vast collection of furniture, farm tools, wagons, clothing and household objects, most donated by local Greenlawn and Centerport families.
Story and Photos provided by the association website. For coupons and more information click on the advertisement on this page.