Long Island Pet Expo – February 28 – March 2, 2014
New Features & ‘Pet Hours’ added this year!
Suffolk Community College
1001 Crooked Hill Road (Exit 53 off LIE)
Brentwood, NY 11717
Friday, February 28, 2014 from 4pm to 9pm
Weekend dates: Saturday, March 1, 2014, 10am – 7pm
Sunday, March 2, 2014, 10am – 5pm
Pot Bellied Pig – Photo credit Long Island Pet Professionals
Special ‘Pet Hours’ will be featured each day of the weekend event.
Now attendees can bring their own fur-kids with them to the Long Island Pet Expo!
The Long Island Pet Expo returns for the 5th year at Suffolk Community College with high-flying dogs, cats doing agility, exotic animals, rain forest reptile show, petting zoo, adoptable pets and many new additional features! One of the new features that has been a very popular request is ‘Pet Hours.’ Now pet owners who want to bring their own leashed and well-behaved pets with them to the pet expo can do so during special ‘Pet Hours.’ The ‘Pet Hours’ will be Friday night, all evening from 4pm – 9pm, Saturday from 5pm – 7pm and Sunday from 3pm – 5pm. These times are specifically for pet hours but attendees who are coming without their pets can come any time during the expo’s regularly scheduled program.
In addition, Friday night also ‘family night’ where kids 12 and under are admitted free of charge!
This is the first time the expo has offered Pet Hours – due to popular demand – “Many pet parents want to bring their pups with them to the event and have requested this year after year,” said Dennis Garetano of the Long Island Pet Expo. “We are thankful to Suffolk Community College for letting us allow the pet hours to our very popular expo as we have pet hours at all our other expos outside of New York. People want to bring their pets with them to experience the event together.” Any owned pets brought during ‘Pet Hours’ owners must fill out a waiver, and their pets must be leashed, well behaved and up to date on vaccinations.
Features this year include:
· New! The Long Island Rabbit Breeders Association will be at the Pet Expo to educate the public about rabbit care and the fun things you can do with your pet rabbit!
· New! Save the Animal Rescue Foundation (STAR) will be giving wildlife education programs throughout the weekend. Teaching awareness, education and information about Long Island’s wildlife to the attendees.
· New! Pet Hours – Now pet owners who want to bring their own leashed and well-behaved pets with them to the pet expo can do so during special ‘Pet Hours.’ The ‘Pet Hours’ will be Friday night, all evening from 4pm – 9pm, Saturday from 5pm – 7pm and Sunday from 3pm – 5pm.
· Cat agility – can you picture it? Cats speeding through an agility course to get the best time? Ok, so some take their take their sweet time – and other cats go right through the course – a sight to be seen. (And, we’ll admit it can be pretty funny to watch!)
· Rainforest Reptile Show – an exciting, fascinating adventure through the rare and endangered reptile world! Many exotic reptiles will be at the show.
· K9 Classic Dog Show – ever see a dog jump 67” in one shot? Or a team of dogs run through an agility course together? This and many more astonishing dog acts will be part of the popular K9 Classic portion of the expo.
· Dancing Dogs – Diana Frohman and her Golden Retrievers will be dancing the weekend away with their Dancing with your Dog demonstrations at the Pet Expo. It is a wonderful display of communication and relationship between dog and handler, set to music.
· Adoptable Pets – many local Long Island rescue groups will be there with adoptable pets. Perfect time to find a furry new friend to add to your family.
Dog In Mid Air – Photo credit Long Island Pet Professionals
The pet expo is expected to bring over 12,000 of people throughout the weekend and features pet vendors offering many pet items and supplies for sale, lots of fun, unique and educational entertainment programs, and many pet professionals from right here on Long Island and from around the country. The Long Island Pet Expo Features all of our favorite pets under one roof!
Dennis and Karen Garetano, the show organizers also allow animal rescue groups that are official non-for-profit organizations to have a free space at the event – offering the public information, education on responsible pet ownership and even have adoptable pets on site. Potential pet owners or those looking to add another pet to their family are encouraged to visit the Adoption Area at the expo as many of LI’s homeless pets will be available for adoption.
Ticket prices are $12 for adults; $5 for children 11 and under (accept Friday night) and kids 3 and under free. Friday night is ‘Family Night’ where kids 12 and under are admitted for free! For more information about the Long Island Pet Expo go to www.LongIslandPetExpo.com or call (631) 423-0620. There is also limited vendor space left contact them today for more info. Any owned pets brought during ‘Pet Hours’ owners must fill out a waiver, and their pets must be leashed, well behaved and up to date on vaccinations. Owned pets will only be allowed into the show during specified pet hours.
About Family Pet Shows:
Family Pet Shows is a family owned and operated company that for nearly 20 years have successfully hosted pet expos beginning in 1994 in Pennsylvania. The company now hosts six different pet expos annually in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania; the Long Island Pet Expo in the Park (2 days, outdoor in September); Long Island Pet Expo (3 day event held indoors in March); the Meadowlands Pet Expo (3 day event indoors in November); The Greater Philadelphia Pet Expo (3 day event indoors in January); and two New shows in Pennsylvania for 2014 the Lehigh Valley Pet Expo (indoor event in February) and the Reading Pet Expo (3 day outdoor event in May).
Family Pet Shows, formerly known as The Horse and Pet Expo, is run by husband and wife team Karen and Dennis Garetano and their son Joe Garetano. In 1994, after years of publishing Horseworld USA magazine, they thought of the idea to host a Horse Expo in Pennsylvania and held their first show in 1994 Fort Washington, PA. After two years of successfully hosting the first Horse Expo, they expanded the show to include other pets and changed the name to Horse and Pet Expo and began adding new locations. Throughout the years and additional shows, Family Pet Shows has grown in size and popularity in each location.
Drawing in crowds of thousands of pet lovers to each of their shows, Karen & Dennis have always been dedicated to making the shows educational, fun, importance of responsible pet ownership, entertaining with talent of various pet and human acts and having many pet vendors and rescue groups. They graciously offer free booth space to 501 c 3 rescue and adoption groups to help save many animal lives. Unlike some pet shows, the majority of the floor space is devoted to entertainment and educational program presented by their various acts. They strive on making this truly a family and pet friendly pet show in every venue.
Dog Doing High Jump – Photo credit Long Island Pet Professionals
About Dennis, Karen & Joe Garetano:
Dennis and Karen are both graduates of Hofstra University. Dennis has been an entrepreneur in the publishing and restaurant business since 1978. He has always been active in the Community as a school board member, volunteer coach for many years, community activist and local charities. Karen was employed by the Town of Huntington Department of Parks and Recreation for 13 years, where she was responsible for planning and scheduling many of the programs and activities in the town. That experience has proved to a valuable asset for the planning and scheduling of all the programs they offer at their Family Pet Shows. Joe has been involved in the shows since he was about 10 years old going with his parents and working at the shows and has recently joined the Family Business full time.