This is the time of the year when Huntingtonians love to go apple picking. Here are some of our favorite recipes to help you use all those apples you have gathered.
This recipe is simple if you use a ready made pie crust.
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
6 cups apples (3 tart, 3 sweet)
1 pkg of 2 ready to make 9″ pie crusts
Directions: Preheat oven to 425 degrees
1. Peel and slice apples thinly
2. mix dry ingredients well
3. add sliced apples to dry ingredients, coat apples with mixture.
4. Place one of the pie crusts into 9″ pie pan
5. pour in apple mixture and spread evenly
6. Place the other pie crust on top.
7. Turn the edges of the top crust under the bottom crust.
8. Flute the edges by pressing a fork around the entire edge of the pie.
9. Make slits in the crust.
Bake about 50 minutes or until juices begin to bubble through slits.
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp.baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups diced peeled firm tart apples ( such as Spy or Granny Smith)
Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees)
In a small bowl toss together sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon until crumbly; set aside.
1. In a large bowl whisk together brown sugar, oil, egg and vanilla until smooth.
2. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
3. Stir oil mixture into flour mixture alternately with buttermilk.
4. Fold in apples, mixing just until combined.
5. Spoon into greased muffin cups filling 3/4 full.
6. Sprinkle topping over evenly.
7. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and tops spring back.
Crock Pot Pork Roast with Apples
This recipe can be assembled in no time. This dish smells as delicious as it tastes.
1 Pork roast
2 to 3 apples, peeled and sliced
1. Rinse the roast with cold water and place in the crock pot.
2. Pour in 3 cups cold water.
3. place the peeled/sliced apples on top of the roast.
4. pour in brown sugar.
5. Cook on high for 8 hours.