Five People Arrested for Selling Alcohol to a Minor
Suffolk County Police arrested five people after they were caught selling alcohol to a minor at several businesses in the Town of Huntington.
The Second Precinct Crime Section conducted an underage alcohol sting operation of nine businesses and five were found to be in violation. The sting operation took place on Friday, April 5, 2013 between 8:20 and midnight.
A volunteer younger than 21-years-old, acting as an agent with the Suffolk County Police Department, entered 14 businesses with the intent to purchase alcohol. Some of the stores chosen were in response to community complaints while others were randomly selected.
The following businesses failed inspection and each store representative was charged with Unlawfully Dealing with a Child 1st Degree for selling alcohol to a minor:
- Kathleen Kress, 54, East Northport Beverage Company, 308 Larkfield Road, East Northport
- Hipolito Estevez, 53, Papa Ningo Deli, 1888 New York Ave., Huntington Station
- Kenneth Babi, 48, West Hills Wines & Liquors, 1720 New York Ave., Huntington Station
- Andrew Lastuvka, 26, Arizona Bar and Grill, 6106 Route 25, Commack
- Sergio Omar Hernandez, 24, Los Compas Deli and Grocery, 161 Depot Road, Huntington Station
Four of the store representatives were issued a Field Appearance ticket and will appear at First District Court in Central Islip on June 4. Hernandez failed to qualify for a Field Appearance Ticket and is being held overnight at the Second Precinct. He will be arraigned at First District Court in Central Islip today.
The following nine establishments complied with New York State law and refused the sale of alcohol to a minor:
- Brothers Deli, 243 Broadway, Greenlawn
- Broadway Bagelry, 223 Broadway, Greenlawn
- Superstar Beer and Soda, 516 Route 25, Huntington Station
- One Stop Market, 246 Pulaski Road, East Northport
- Huntington Gas, 341 Route 25, Huntington Station
- 24/7, 10 Walt Whitman Road, Huntington Station
- Valero Gas, 445 Route 25, Huntington Station
- Instant Replay, 282 Route 25, Huntington Station
- BP Gas, 272 Route 25, Huntington Station
The operation was part of an ongoing effort by the Suffolk County Police Department to ensure compliance of laws pertaining to the sale of alcohol.